What to expect
We are excited to welcome you into the Seattle Aikikai community. We believe that every person can practice aikido regardless of any limitations and that you bring a unique quality to our dojo. Once you join Seattle Aikikai as a beginner, you will receive individual instruction on basic skills, such as conditioning, etiquette, footwork, and striking practice. As you progress, you will be fully integrated into the classes and receive group and individual instruction on basic techniques.
Questions or concerns? Email us! We will be happy to help you.
1. Log in
Go to our ZenPlanner site. Log in with your ZenPlanner email and password, and sign the waiver.
Choose Calendar, and find the Outdoor Training class you want to register for. Click on the class, and reserve your spot.
3. What to wear
Dress in comfortable clothing that allows you to move, such as a gi or yoga pants and t-shirt. If you need equipment, such as a jo or bokken, contact us for a list of retailers.
4. Attend a class
You will receive an email about where to meet once you register. Please arrive 5-10 minutes early.
Current Covid Training Policies
- Members must pre-register for classes (first-come, first-served).
- Members must not come to class if they are feeling unwell or have any symptoms (or combination of symptoms) listed here: headache, fever, sore throat, fatigue, cough, congestion, loss of taste, nausea, or diarrhea.
- Members having any of the above symptoms must be symptom-free and have self-quarantined for 14 days or test negative for Covid19, or have tested positive for Covid19 Antibodies before being allowed to return to class.
- Members must immediately notify Seattle Aikikai via email if they or anyone they have come into contact with has been given a positive diagnosis of COVID19.
- Indoor training is for vaccinated members only. If you are not vaccinated you are welcome to attend our virtual and outdoor weapons classes.
- To participate in our indoor class, please either 1) send a photo of your WA vaccination card to the dojo email or 2) show your vaccination card in person when you come to your first class.
- Indoor classes are mask-optional.
- Class size is limited so if you won’t be able to make it to a class, please log in to your Zen Planner account and cancel your reservation as soon as possible so the next person on the waiting list can take your place.
For outdoors training:
- All members are welcome to join outdoor classes regardless of vaccination status.
- Members must maintain at least 6 feet of distance from other practitioners unless they are training with someone within your family group.
- Training is mask-optional although unvaccinated members should continue to wear masks.